Monday, January 14, 2013

Jodie Foster Makes It Officially Official

In case you were still wondering, Jodie Foster is gay.

The actress came out, first as single and then as a lesbian, while accepting her Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes last night. Officially, I guess. About six years after already doing so at a different awards show that was not televised.

Gut reaction? I wasn’t all that impressed with Foster’s speech. And duh, girl.

Reaction after the fact? Good for you, Jodie!

Now, mind you, I didn’t find fault with Foster’s message at all – I respect the her desire to do this this way at this time, although it may have helped her community to have done so, say, years ago. I just thought the delivery was a bit rambly, to be honest. Like, she’s an Ivy Leaguer, and that’s the best she could do?

Then again, I didn’t get the full effect of her best, because I was watching the show with terribly live dubbing. It got in the way of a beautiful stream of conscious consciousness. Every word was carefully chosen and delivered.

The impact of what Foster said may have been initially mangled in translation – although, then again, a lot of other folks, evidently, also were perplexed by what she was saying...so what’s their excuse?

But now that the dust has settled, I have a new appreciation for what she preached about privacy and coming out to those she actually knows before sharing this aspect of her life as openly and candidly with the world at this stage in her life. That’s the way it should. Click here to read a transcript of her speech and really get the magnitude of this step in her life.

I’ll leave further cynical deconstruction and criticism to others.

Photo: ScreenCrush.com.

No comments: