Thursday, June 06, 2013

Nostalgia, Pt. 42

Alrighty then: It really is like you blink and, poof, you’re 15.

Whaddya gonna do.

Not much except be totally gracious about it...and maybe sneak a flirtini – or a classic cosmo! – and celebrate how far youve come, for, indeed, it was 15 years ago today that HBO gave us Sex and the City and introduced us to four of our favorite modern-day heroines of TV: Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda, making bona fide stars out of Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, and Cynthia Nixon.

Not to mention Manolo Blahnik.

I mention the shoemaker not because I think the essence of the show can be summed up in its award-winning fascination with expensive high heels but because I believe that it earned its need for sky-high footwear by reaching the goals it set out for itself.

That stylish New York City-loving, pun-making machine was a trend-setting ground breaker that combined comedy and drama to great effect. I am not going to give you examples of moments that  I think helped changed anything that we can see because I think that, yeah, Sex and the City, on the surface, is about those instances but, more importantly, that show was and is about how those moments change(d) ya. Nudge(d) ya. Personally.

But I will say that I really loved and love that show and those girls, and so today, I salute them and their indelible footprint. 

Photo: SplashOfOurWorlds.blogspot.com.

No comments: