Saturday, October 11, 2008

Am I Going to Have to Write You a Letter, MJB?

Last night, I caught the Fort Lauderdale stop of Mary J. Blige and Robin Thicke’s “Love-Soul Tour.”

I had last-minute tickets that were just sick – seventh row, on the floor (jealous?) – and was so looking forward to enjoying the concert, which I so did, considering the week I’d had.

Having a car accident on hump day sucks. But I digress.

Thicke went on first. He never fails to disappoint, although I wished A) that his record company had splurged a little on his stage (because he deserves it), and B) that he’d performed more songs from his latest, Something Else, and not just the lead single, “Magic,” mostly because I’ve seen him perform “Lost Without U,” “Shooter,” and “Wanna Love U Girl” before – I wanted to hear “Dreamworld.”

Oh well, the price of admission paid for itself with him alone. But then there was Mary.

MJB came out clad in black leather, rocking shades and thigh-high fringe Christian Louboutin boots. The look was pure divalicious with an edge.

I enjoy Blige’s music quite a bit, but this was her tour – last spring, I saw her in Miami when she hit the road with Jay-Z) – so, natch, this time around I wanted and expected to hear the lovely “Come to Me (Peace).”

The fact that she didn’t sing it, well…it made me want to write a letter to her, telling her she owes me now.

At the same time, though, I figured, after all this time sans beam, that hearing it performed live wasn’t meant to be, either.

Photo: GettyImages.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Work That," drunky, hard candy you.

Anonymous said...

I AM jealous!