Friday, August 15, 2008

In and Out of the Pool

My week’s obsession, British swimmer Mark Foster, is done in Beijing.

Foz didn’t make it through to the semi-finals of the 50-meter free style after finishing sixth in his heat yesterday. After 22.35 seconds, the 38-year-old’s Olympic dreams – Beijing marks his fifth Olympiad, by the way – were over.

“I was more nervous than I have ever been ahead of the heat and was disappointed with the way I swam, but in my heart-of-hearts I knew I wasn’t capable of winning a medal,” Foster blogged for the Telegraph.

“In the warm-up I felt awful, in the sprints I felt OK, but back in there I was just awful.

“I’ve enjoyed [Beijing] more than any other Olympics. It was a wonderful honour to carry the flag at the opening ceremony. It was possibly the Olympic medal for me I’ve always missed, but I’ve been waiting to get out there and race.”

You made not have medaled, but you won a fan or four.

Photo: Olympics.org.uk.

No comments: