Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Julius Holds

Peruvian author Alfredo Bryce Echenique has given up hope that his masterpiece novel A Word for Julius (Un Mundo Para Julius) will be adapted into a film anytime soon.

The production company that bought the rights to the book, he says, “has never paid for them.”

I can’t say I’m terribly sad about the news.

I really treasure Bryce Echenique’s novel, much more than any I’ve ever read (or not) and later seen brought to the big screen.

I just find A Word for Julius’ and its critical and humorous and mocking at Lima’s upper class so specific to that city, and to what I know about it, that I can’t imagine anyone doing it justice.

Several name international actors were even attached to the project, among them Pilar Bardem, Olivier Martinez, and Patricia Velasquez.

Time to find another project, folks.

Photo: BNP.gob.pe.

No comments: