Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Rat Star

I have been so agog over a project for fall that I simply forgot to tell you how much I loved Ratatouille.

Disney and Pixar can’t help but make excellent films together, and Ratatouille, with all of its emotion and excitement, has served up more of what audiences love to see on the big screen.

Since opening in June, we’ve been offered the story of a rodent who wants to be a chef – and a lesson for life.

The film, which boasts a fantastic original score by Michael Giacchino, mesmerized me when the action was set in and around the Parisian kitchen that Remy (voiced by Patton Oswalt) comes to call his own thanks to his partnership with garbage boy-turned-chef Linguini (Lou Romano) – and it moved me when its Big Theme (“Anyone can cook” is the mantra that informs Remy’s passion; i.e., anyone can do anything) was so elegantly executed.

Ratatouille may feature summer’s unlikeliest hero yet, and although he is small, he has the biggest heart. And that is something that’s really special.

My Rating ****

Photo: Disney/Pixar.

No comments: