Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An Admission

I, too, can be such a doof.

Once is film I failed miserably in catching in a movie theater this summer, and for that I’m sorry. So sorry. I’m sorry. Please forgive me.

Starring Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová, this is a modern-day musical set on the streets of Dublin. It tells the story of a street performers and an immigrant during an eventful week as they write, rehearse, and record songs that reveal their love story.

The film won the World Cinema Audience Award for Dramatic Film at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, and I finally discovered what a little gem it is yesterday as I sat for a rare, rapid breakfast in front of the TV before leaving for work.

I was watching VH-1 when the video for “Falling Slowly,” one of the songs featured in the film. I loved it immediately.

So now I must urge you to seek out Once if you can, or put it at the top of your Netflix queue.

I promise it will be worth it.

Photo: Fox Searchlight Pictures.

No comments: