Thursday, August 31, 2006

I Wish She Knew How to Quit Them

It is not a secret that I heart Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I am starting to seriously question the Chosen One’s…well, choices.

Gellar has signed up to make Addicted, a remake of a South Korean film called Jungdok that follows the story of a woman whose husband and brother-in-law end up in comas after an accident. Things take a thrilling turn when the brother-in-law wakes up first…claiming to be her husband.

The movie is being produced by one of the companies behind 2004’s The Grudge and The Grudge 2 (Oct. 13) – in which Gellar starred and made a cameo appearance, respectively.

Addicted would be the fourth movie with a supernatural bend that Gellar has been involved in since Buffy the Vampire Slayer went off the air – tear – in 2003.

All right, The Grudge was huge hit for Gellar, which, as a fan, made me very happy. I don’t expect the sequel to be or do any better, and since it’s not her movie per se I’m not too worried about its potential failure to be blamed on her.

But enough, already! All these choices make me concerned, especially when I see
how little buzz The Return (Nov. 10) is generating, or that given her only stab as a romantic comedy leading lady in Simply Irresistible was anything but, the stakes for the recently completed The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing might prove much too high.

Then again, some of her Gellar’s other projects, like the troubled Southland Tales and Alice, give me plenty of hope that her star will continue to shine bright.


Photo: Columbia Pictures (The Grudge).

No comments: