Friday, September 01, 2006

MTV Gets Back to Basics

OK…so I have shied away from talking about the Emmys (all those snubs still have me riled up).

While I loved the show – Conan O’Brien rocked! Purple is in! Hugh Laurie made want to start watching House! Helen Mirren is It! The Office and 24 won! – but hated the fact that no CW stars made appearances (failing to nominate Kristen Bell and Lauren Graham was bad enough, but not inviting them to the party was low), I just couldn’t bring myself to write something about it anytime sooner.

To be honest I have been kind of busynot!

So, to make up for it, here’s a little something about the MTV VMAs, which this year went back to basics and were held in New York City after two years in Miami. I missed them so, but I was glad MTV hosted the party where it rightfully belongs. Anyway, here are the winners. And here is what I liked…and what I didn’t (in that order):

MTV using the demo version of Madonna’s “I Love New York” during the pre-show was a nice way to give her – and the city – props. They could’ve also given her an award later on, but they get a pass since the fans voted for the winners this year.

I liked the performances, starting with Fergie’s pre-show rousing rendition of “London Bridge” – which made want to drop it down real low – and following with:

  • Justin Timberlake, who has got to be funkiest white boy I have ever seen, and his double whammy (“My Love” and “SexyBack”) of a show opener. His is a tour I am eagerly anticipating.
  • Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” and Beyoncé’s “Ring the Alarm,” which I finally got – and liked. The Latin pop sensation’s Bollywood-inspired performance, featuring Wyclef Jean, was a graceful showstopper, while the erstwhile Child of Destiny’s was an over-the-top coup.
  • OK Go’s choreography for “Here It Goes Again”: a quadruple tour de force that I am never going to try to reproduce…not even sans treadmills.

I also enjoyed seeing Lil’ Kim out and about after her one-year engagement in the big house, Pink’s shocked look as Nick Lachey and Nicole Richie presented her with the Best Pop Video VMA for “Stupid Girls,” presenter Sarah Silverman’s kooky humor, Christina Aguilera’s “Hurt” (I would’ve preferred “Ain’t No Other Man,” you know…to keep show’s beat up), and host Jack Black’s hit-or-miss efforts to “bring the thunder.”

I did not, however, care for Jessica Simpson’s tired shtick (or her dress), Britney Spears and K-Fed’s pathetic presentation (go away, already, and think – and clean up – real hard before you come back!), or the fact that Madonna didn’t win a single VMA.

Not (entirely) cool, MTV.

For some of what we didn't see, click here.

Photo: People.com.

No comments: