Friday, August 25, 2006

The Songs That I Like

Recently, several reports of payola (like this one...and this one) and an undeniable bias against certain performers (a petition has had to be made to get Madonna back on the airwaves) have made it quite evident to me that American radio is not only boring, but also rather morally bankrupt.


I mean, how many more times do I have to listen to Kelly Clarkson’s “Walk Away” or Rihanna’s “Unfaithful” on my local “hit” music channel?

I say, Enough, already. There are plenty other songs out there. Some – the Queen of Pop's infectious "Get Together and “Jump" come mind – are tremendously worthy of being played on the radio.

It’s a sad state of affairs when I have to keep pushing you to give DJ Paul Oakenfold’s “Faster Kill Pussycat” (featuring Brittany Murphy) a good listen. Or when I have to turn to YouTube (because video, it seems, really did kill the radio star) to check out Fergie’s funtastic “London Bridge,” the lead single off the Black Eyed Peas singer's debut solo album, The Duchess.

My only consolation is that radio is paying attention to Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake – although I hope they won’t burn “Ain’t No Other Man” and “SexyBack” to the ground like they almost have Nelly Furtado’s “Promiscuous” (though they are slowly getting around playing her "Maneater”).


Oh, and it also helps that Nick Lachey’s “What’s Left of Me” came out on top of Jessica Simpson’s “Holiday” rip-off “A Public Affair.” But that's something entirely different, no?

And you know it: I like me some pop – and I’m not sorry…it’s human nature. Now, if only radio was really all about pop(ular choice) nowadays, everyone would be happy.


Photo: Amazon.com.

No comments: