Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Laughing All the Way with the Banks

I read some terrific news today: The Hollywood Reporter…uh...reported that actress Elizabeth Banks (Seabiscuit) has landed the role of a hyper Santa’s Helper (and Vince Vaughn’s love interest) in next year’s Joe Claus, and is in talks to star in Definitely, Maybe, a romantic comedy in which she and Rachel Weisz would play Ryan Reynolds’ college sweetheart and new girlfriend, respectively.

I looove Banks, and I’m not just saying this because I had the chance to talk to her about her role in last summer’s Heights – she was a doll – at which time she also told me how much she liked working with Madonna in Swept Away (complimenting the Queen of Pop is always a point-scorer with me).

I’m saying this because she is the real thing, and every time I see her on screen I know I’m in for a treat.

Banks’ ability to turn the smallest of roles into something memorable is rather outstanding: Her quick scenes as Betty Brant in the Spider-Man films give me hope her role will be expanded soon; her performance as a randy bookstore clerk in The 40-Year-Old Virgin still makes me and my BFF chuckle; and her guest-starring stint on TV’s Scrubs last season had me wanting her to join the show full time.

She, along with the force to be reckoned with that is Amy Adams (a recent Academy Award nominee for Junebug), gives me plenty of hope in an entertainment world populated by starletbots.

Banks will be seen next in Aug. 25’s Invincible, while Adams is currently stealing scenes in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.


Photo: Universal Pictures (The 40-Year-Old Virgin).

No comments: