Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Song of 2015

When it came to picking a song for the year, the song of 2015, the one record that came to mind from which to choose, really, was Rebel Heart.

Yes, Madonna’s best and most underappreciated album in forever and a half.

And how could it not: The Grammy-snubbed Rebel Heart’s gotten the heavy-rotation treatment from me all year long, at home and at work (thank goodness for earbuds!), in the car, on my phone.... Wherever I went I found a Rebel Heart moment to be had.

And I loved it. Still do.

My affection for Ghosttown” – the No. 1 Best Song of 2015, according to Rolling Stone readers – is strong and clear (sooo bummed the Queen of Pop skipped the love-at-the-end-of-the-world ballad at the San Jose stop of her beautiful “Rebel Heart Tour in October), and I wanna move any gosh darn time I hear “Living for Love.” It was the record’s title track, however, that best encompassed the complexity of Madonna and, by proxy, mine and, heck, even that of the world.

Lyrically, it is a throwback-y kind of ditty that still sounds quite fresh and reflects not only a forward sonic development for M but a personal growth as well. It’s a song about confidence without ever saying it is so, melancholy sans schmaltz, and, possibly, Madonna’s quieter triumph ever.

Bitches she is Madonna, but, for my money, “Rebel Heart” is the song of the year. Absolutely is is. Enjoy!



Long live the Queen! Nobody does it better.

No comments: