Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Waiting for Kelly

Richard Kelly, the young director who wowed audiences and critics alike with 2001’s cult fave Donnie Darko, and took a bit of a stumble with his follow-up, the long-delayed Southland Tales, a couple of years, is back with The Box.

In the movie opening this fall, Cameron Diaz and James Marsden play a suburban couple facing a moral dilemma when they receive a gift of sorts that bears irrevocable consequences.

A small box has been left on their doorstep.

With the push of a button, someone they don’t know somewhere will die, and they will receive $1 million.

The caveat: They only have 24 hours to confront the depth of their own humanity and make their decision.

I saw the trailer for The Box last weekend, and I cannot tell you how excited I got. Waiting for Kelly has been rather excruciating because he’s one of those people whose work you really anticipate.

And when I read that Diaz and Marsden had signed on for this, I wanted to get my ticket right then and there.

Plus, I’m loving the period setting Kelly thought of for this one….

Photo: FirstShowing.net.

No comments: