Friday, July 17, 2009

Tragedy in Marseille

Two people have died after a stage being erected for an upcoming Madonna concert collapsed at the Velodrome in Marseilles, France.


Charles Prow, a British worker, died today from injuries sustained in the accident. Frenchman Charles Criscenzo passed away yesterday. Eight other injuries have been reported.

Madonna has cancelled the July 19 stop of her “Sticky & Sweet Tour” in Marseilles. No reason for the accident has yet been reported.

“My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news,” she said in a statement. Further, in Udine, Italy, last night, the Queen of Pop addressed the accident, and struggled to make it through the show.
“Before I continue the show I want to take a moment to acknowledge and pay tribute to two people who lost their lives today. I don’t know if you’ve heard. Two men building my show in Marseille where we’re going next…the crane fell, and we don’t know why,” she said. “I hate to be associated with suffering. I want to pay tribute to their families. Let’s take a moment to appreciate our family, loved ones, friends around us.” She then asked the audience to give it up for them.
So sad, indeed.
Photo: Madonnalicious.com.
Update: Madonna visited with the family of the two Charlies over the weekend, on the day of the concert for which the stage was being erected. The reason for the accident remains unclear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so unclear that they're launching a criminal investigation, which probably explains the self-serving visit from Santa Madonna.

lulu said...

That's a little cynical. Who's to say she's not actually devastated? That's not the kind of thing that happens every day and in any case, she's not liable (I don't think).

Lottalance said...

Some of her music associates her with suffering by me...