Friday, May 29, 2009

A History of Survival

Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, one of my favorite books of the decade – if not my favorite book of the decade, period – has been adapted into a feature film that was supposed to come out last year.

It didn’t.

Come fall, though, The Road, starring Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee, will arrive in theaters, and you better believe I have all but bought my ticket for it.

The Road was one of the easiest, most engrossing, most intriguing reads. Simple in its writing, beautiful in its hope, and bleak in its description of an unthinkable post-apocalyptic world, McCarthy’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, the tale of a father and his young son on a journey across a barren landscape, was something I could not put down.

Photo: The Weinstein Company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You read?

Seriously, it's an amazing book. And I can't wait to see this, either.