Friday, May 01, 2009

An Emmy for TV’s Other Ellen

I’m officially casting my ballot for Actress in Drama Series at the Emmys this year for Ellen Pompeo, the star of TV’s Grey’s Anatomy.

Not that I actually get to vote of anything….

Seriously, though, I pick her…I choose her…I love her because not matter what you read, Pompeo’s Meredith Grey is the most complex female character on TV right now, and the actress has had the uncelebrated task of outstandingly playing a deeply flawed, often unsympathetic character for five seasons.

This year, though, Meredith Grey has turned a corner, and last night’s episode, “No Good at Saying Sorry (One More Chance)really showed the audience that she’s not dark and twisty for her health. Yes, we’ve been led to understand her, but last night I truly felt we’ve been wrong about her for so long. Meredith’s extremely real and raw, and it boggled my mind that Pompeo’s work has gone overlooked for so long.

Grey’s Anatomy is an ensemble piece, but it’s time its star gets all the kudos she so richly deserves.

Photo: EW.com.

No comments: