Sunday, November 28, 2010

R.I.P. Det. Lt. Frank Drebin

Surely (see what I’m doing here), there is a joke in the fact that Leslie Nielsen died at age 84, in Florida – but I am definitely not the right one to tell it.

The funnyman passed away yesterday at a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, where he was being treated for pneumonia.

A master of the fine art of parody, the Canadian actor – a character actor, I dare say – also was well known for his work on TV dramas way back when, Airplane! (surely, you seriously haven’t forgotten about that one, and as he would have said, “...don’t call me Shirley”), but it was his role as Det. Lt. Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun series that ingratiated Nielsen to this fan. Click here for a look at some highlights from the gentleman’s career.

You will be missed, Les.

Photo: EmpireOnline.com.

No comments: