Wednesday, December 26, 2007

You’re a Good Man, Charlie Wilson

Just like anyone who had the day off on Christmas, I went to the movies to see…Mike Nichols’ Charlie Wilson’s War.

I previewed the movie back in October – it’s about a character of a Texas congressman with the best intentions, who, aided by a semi-rogue CIA spook and a Houston socialite, supplied the expertise, money, and training that turned the ill-equipped Afghan freedom-fighters into a force that halted the Red Army – so I’m not discussing the plot much, mostly because there are way too many movies for me to watch and write about before the end of the year.

That’s just how I’m rolling these days.

However, I will say that you should see Charlie Wilson’s War if A) you want to enjoy two stars (Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts) do what they do best – shine on screen in the way only they can, B) you want to see one of the finest character actors working today (Philip Seymour Hoffman) chew scenery like there’s no tomorrow, and C) you want to watch Amy Adams (Enchanted) take another small but significant step into A-Listville.

As a bonus, the cracking screenplay by Aaron Sorkin not only will entertain you, it might enlighten you a bit, too.

My Rating ***

Photo: Universal Pictures.

No comments: