Monday, September 25, 2006

Nostalgia, Pt. 1

A curious thing happened to me this weekend while I was down with a terrible chest cold: I caught Twister on HBO.

Yeah, I know – big whoop.

The funny thing is it dawned me that that summer blockbuster came out 10 years ago. Ten years ago!

Again, I know – big whoop.

I don’t know if it was the sniffles or the cold medication, but it got me thinking about 1996 – and what that year meant to the fact that I am now keeping a blog about movies.

I remembered, vividly, being in a movie theater in Lima, Peru, and seeing the posters for the first Mission: Impossible (the best one of the series, though I am quite fond of J.J. Abram’s M:i:III, too), Eraser, Evita, Independence Day, Jerry Maguire, Mars Attacks!, The Rock, and Striptease (which earned then-highest paid actress Demi Moore a $12.5 million paycheck – do you remember that?). And I remembered thinking saying at the time, “I’m going to see all of these movies.”

Of course, I didn’t – they wouldn’t allow me into Striptease, but that was then, and here I am now…writing about movies.

So, you see, it is a big whoop. And I love it.


Photo: Warner Bros. (Twister).

No comments: