Monday, June 16, 2008

The Spotlight on Broadway

What is it about the Tony Awards?

Although the live telecast isn’t at the top of my Must Watch List, it just pulls me in every year.

I haven’t watched the entirety of yesterday’s 2008 show, but I quite literally dreamt of the show last night – and I’d only seen the opening number, a performance by the cast of The Lion King. TiVo’s saving the rest for me at home, but YouTube just treated me to a preview of what else is to come.

Whoopi Goldberg hosted the show – and showed a little leg (good for her) – but the evening was memorably marked by a goose bump-inducing performance by the original cast of Rent. Their
encore appearance, alongside the current Broadway cast, celebrated the show’s run, which will come to an end on Sept. 7.

Somewhere, Jonathan Larson smiled last night. And with mighty good reason: his “Seasons of Love” have proven everlasting.

For a complete list of winners, click here.

Photo: NYTimes.com.

No comments: