Monday, April 14, 2008

Getting Stone-d

I spent the better part of yesterday catching up with TiVo, getting to know Eli Stone.

Question: How is it that this show isn’t more popular?

I was hooked after watching the pilot. Nine episodes later, I’m completely addicted. (I’ve got two more in queue – and I cannot wait to watch’em).

This first season is good.

Co-created by Greg Berlanti (TV’s Everwood, Brothers & Sisters), Eli Stone’s so far a cohesive mid-season replacement that had better be back in the fall.

The show stars Jonny Lee Miller in the titular role of a San Francisco lawyer who starts getting visions that inform the cases he should take. But are the visions the possible effect of a recently discovered brain aneurysm…or are they a higher calling?

It co-stars a never-better Natasha Henstridge (oh, how far she’s come since Species!), Loretta Devine (a hoot and a half!), the very handsome and appealing Sam Jaeger and Matt Letscher, and Victor Garber (welcome back on the tube, Spy Daddy!).

And did I mention Eli Stone succeeds where Viva Laughlin failed so miserably?

Sometimes, when Eli gets a vision, the people around him break into song and dance, often to George Michael’s repertoire (the singer already has appeared on the show, in completely integrated and effective story lines). It’s a touch of whimsy that totally works.

Yeah – I’m in it now.... I mean, just look at Miller (pictured at right). McDreamy who?

Photo: MediaInCanada.com.

1 comment:

Lottalance said...

Dear All Knowing,

My friend De and I want to know why GM is so tied to this show?