Wednesday, March 18, 2009

R.I.P. Natasha Richardson

The worlds of film, stage, and TV are in mourning today: Natasha Richardson has died after a graver-than-anyone-thought skiing accident that resulted in severe brain trauma.

The beautiful 45-year-old Tony Award-winning (for Cabaret) actress is survived by her husband, actor Liam Neeson, and two sons.

Richardson appeared in films such as Nell, opposite Neeson, The Parent Trap, Maid in Manhattan, The White Countess, and Evening. In January, she shared the stage with her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, in a one-night performance of A Little Night Music in New York.

Photo: TheCinemaSource.com.

Update 1: Lindsay Lohan has issued a remembrance in honor of her Parent Trap mom, saying, “[Natasha] was a wonderful woman and actress and treated me like I was her own. I didn’t see much of her over the years, but I will miss her. My heart goes out to her family. This is a tragic loss.”

Update2: Meanwhile, Richardson’s Cabaret co-star, Alan Cumming, has said, “The term ‘life force’ seems trite, but that is what [Natasha] was: a woman who powered through life and fascinated everyone she encountered.

“I have been thinking about the times I spent with her since I heard the news of her tragic accident, and the strongest memory I have is of her laughter, her unmistakable throaty laugh. I think that’s a great way to remember someone.”

Update 3: Judi Dench and Jane Fonda also have expressed their sadness over Richardson’s death, with the former praising her “luminous quality that you seldom see,” and the latter recalling her youthful beauty and grace.

Regis Philbin, Kelly Ripa, and director Sam Mendes also have publicly remembered the actress. So have Oprah Winfrey, Jodie Foster, Padma Lakshmi, Blythe Danner, Demi Moore, and many other celebrities.

Update 4: Broadway will dim its lights on March 19 in memory of Natasha Richardson.

No comments: