Friday, February 16, 2007

Feeling the Zsa Zsa Zsu

These are interesting times we’re living in, huh.

Posh is disappearing before our eyes in the name of I don’t know what (somebody feed this woman a potato pronto!), the weather is going all Day After Tomorrow on us (just whose fault is that?), and astronauts are living real-life Lifetime movies (and surely cashing in on it).

And hateration seems to be everywhere, unfortunately.

These days you can’t turn on the TV without seeing a report of yet another public figure sticking their foot in their mouth. Hatin’ on the blacks, hatin’ on the gays, hatin’ on the whomevers…it appears to be the It thing to do, only surpassed by the subsequent outrage.

Y’all know what I’m talking about, so I won’t even dignify or perpetuate the cycle by linking to those nasty, nasty reports. I will say, however, that none of it makes me feel the zsa zsa zsu.

Thank goodness for the little things – for the people – that do.

  • Exhibit A is Lily Allen, whose uplifting singing makes me smile these days. (Her deliciously catty lyrics are something else, altogether...and I love'em, too.)
  • Exhibit B is Fergie, although please, please, P-L-E-A-S-E no more spelling on the next record, OK. (I blame Camille Paglia for this clever, yet annoying trend, for no other reason that she spelled every other word, W-O-R-D, at a lecture she gave in Miami last fall, a good several weeks before I first heard “Fergalicious” and “Glamorous,” which both spell, S-P-E-L-L, lyrics like it’s going out of style.)
  • Exhibit C is Shonda Rhimes’s writing, particularly in last night’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Tears formed behind my eyes all throughout the last 15 minutes of part 2 of her three-episode arc. Oh to the My to the God, Shonda Rhimes. What are you doing to my heart!
  • Exhibit D is Wednesday’s Desmond-centric episode of Lost. Trippiest. Episode. Ever. What is going on over there? And why aren’t you watching?
  • Exhibit E is the news that Keri Russell is now married. Awww....

Photo: CusickPortal.ch-br.net.

No comments: