Friday, November 03, 2006

Respect for Moviefilm for Make Good Time in Theater 

Time for a confession: To tell ya that I went in to see Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan reluctantly would be letting myself off the hook much too easily – it would be lying to you, for I never intended to see this film by TV writer-producer-cum-filmmaker Larry Charles (TVs Seinfeld). 

It’s like this: Ever since I saw that Borat had premiered at the Cannes Film Festival this year, and that its star, Sacha Baron Cohen (HBO’s Da Ali G Show), had hit the Croisette in a neon green swimsuit, I pre-judged the darn thing. I decided that was a pretty look-at-me stunt Cohen had pulled, and dismissed his offering as something that would probably turn out to be quite idiotic.

I was wrong.

Borat has got to be one of the most culturally relevant and smart, and subversive comedies I’ve seen in many, many years. The “moviefilm” – shot as a road trip faux documentary – was a surprise from the moment it started, and had me in stitches throughout, I do declare. It was fun and insightful and oh-so wrong – best of all, it was relentless.

It follows the journey of Borat Sagdiyev (Baron Cohen), a (fictional) leading journalist from Kazakhstan's State-run TV network and that nation's sixth most famous man, who travels from the Central Asia nation to the United States to interview real people in an effort to learn more American culture. Every step of the way we see him arousing the most unexpected reactions from the regular folk he encounters, thus revealing their hidden prejudices. And right when you start to consider that Baron Cohen is or might be baiting these people simply for the sake of baitin' 'em, it turns out all he is doing is exposing the kinks of their otherwise shiny armors – although one could argue these folks had a hankering to lay bare their souls.

Comedy exorcizes.

Anyone that feels Baron Cohen or his alter ego is an anti-Semite (Borat is scared of the Jews – but trust me, it works) or misogynistic (there are worse instances of this on TV every single day) or wrong for cracking a Sept. 11 joke (even a surprisingly well-executed one), should avoid Borat at all cost, then, because, this is a film for people who are fearless. Plus, it features one of the best celebrity cameos (think Baywatch) in recent memory – one that didn’t wear out its welcome. I thought this particular storytelling choice was a show of Baron Cohen’s restraint – you can trust him enough to know he will not take it too far – and tied in nicely with the film’s message (basically, follow your dreams no matter how plastic they are).

No wonder he is having a moment.

So, in the words of another of Baron Cohen’s up-until-today most famous character, Ali G, who was first introduced to America by – who else? – Madonna (see her “Music” video over and over), you have to give Borat respect.

My Rating ****

Photo: 20th Century Fox.

2 comments:

Sudiegirl said...

Dude...I really want to see this movie, and I'm glad to read one movie review that gets what this guy is trying to do.

Let me know if you want a picture of my "Sudiegirl hearts Borat" t-shirt. You probably won't but it's good for a laugh.

:0)

May I link to you?

Martin Haro said...

Link away, sudiegirl!