Monday, July 10, 2006

What Booty! $132 Million Is a Lot of Gold Coins

I spent most of the weekend watching sports, which, if you know me, is quite the statement. What were you thinking, Zinédine Zidane?! Congratulations, Roger Federer.

As a result, it is possible I am the only one who did not see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest over the weekend. And I call myself a movie enthusiast!

But can you believe these numbers? Entertainment Weekly's Pop Watch barely could. Not even decidedly mixed reviews could keep crowds away from checking out Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley take another high-seas adventure with a swaggering and swashbuckling Johnny Depp in this sequel, which with a box office gross of just a little more than $132 million set a new record for best three-day opening of all time.

The previous record-holder was Spider-Man, which took in $114.8 million in its first three days in 2002. One thing is for sure, already: it'll be interesting to see who will walk away next summer’s box office champ when Spider-Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End open next May.

Photo: Walt Disney Pictures.


Update: It was reported that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest actually gathered $135.6 million. I have finally seen movie. I found it too long and rather humorless. Actually, I couldn't help but think back to what happened to The Matrix, and how it, much like the first Pirates movie, stood alone quite nicely and how it was kind of tarnished by a couple of simultaneously shot sequels that ultimately proved unnecessary.

No comments: