Friday, July 21, 2006

Uma Goodness!

I have long worshipped at the altar of Uma Thurman.

I think she’s a terrific actress and oh-so gorgeous. I think she was robbed – robbed, I tell ya – of an Oscar nomination, at the very least, for her turn in the Kill Bill movies, and I also think nothing can stop her. That is why I think it’s so great to see her trying her hand at making us laugh, which she does quite superbly in My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

Everyone's had a painful parting of the ways with a romantic interest, right? We hurt, we pick up the pieces, and we move on.

Easier said than done – just ask Luke Wilson’s character, Matt Saunders. When he breaks up with his girlfriend, Jenny Johnson (Thurman), he discovers she is actually the reluctant superhero G-Girl. And you know what they say: hell hath no fury like a superhero woman scorned.

While the movie gets off to a bit of slow start and isn’t super by any standards, its saving grace is Thurman. Magnetically beautiful, quite adept at physical comedy, and a total hoot as the banging-her-head-into-a-refrigerator-door jealous, neurotically needy, shark-chucking G-Girl, she is the real reason to sit through it.

Wilson isn’t half bad, either – check out what someone (cough, cough) told E! Online’s Ted Casablanca about him.

My Rating **1/2

Photo: 20th Century Fox.

No comments: