Friday, April 28, 2006

If You Don’t Catch United 93…

This weekend sees the “controversial” opening of director Paul (Bloody Sunday, The Bourne Supremacy) Greengrass’ United 93, a drama that tells the story of the passengers and crew, their families on the ground, and the flight controllers who watched in dawning horror as United Airlines Flight 93 became the fourth hijacked plane on Sept. 11, 2001. Is it too soon for such a film to arrive in movie theaters across the nation? Is Hollywood sensationalizing a thoroughly painful and recent event?

My answers are no and it depends.

I do not believe it is too soon to be reminded of a tragedy that changed the course of our lives – especially considering that its effects are still very much felt today. And I do not think Hollywood is being opportunistic per se – the business of show is driven by profit, but something tells me that money wasn't the main goal in making this film. (Greengrass reportedly counted with the blessing of the majority of friends and family of the fallen depicted in the film.)

It goes without saying that United 93 will be a different experience for a movie watcher. The film recreates the doomed trip in actual time, from takeoff to hijacking to the realization by the passengers onboard that their plane was part of a coordinated attack unfolding on the ground beneath them. But I wholeheartedly believe that, as difficult as it may be, United 93 might be something worth looking into, if anything just to pay tribute to those who died so valiantly – and to remember that day, which is something that many pledged to do but few seem willing to.

Keeping in mind that some will not catch United 93 this weekend, here's a quick word on two films that opened wide last week – Friends with Money and The Sentinel – and that I saved for this week (options, my peeps…that’s what it’s all about).

Friends with Money is a darling and often cutting indie from Nicole Holofcener (Lovely & Amazing), starring Jennifer Aniston (playing a teacher-turned-maid), an outstanding Frances McDormand, Catherine Keener, and Joan Cusack as long-time friends dealing with life’s trials (love, marriage, money, work) in their own very different ways. Though not a fully realized movie (the character development is quite uneven), I liked Friends with Money because I found it relatable, on a basic level, and rather true (everyone has an experience).

If action is more your cup of tea, then check out The Sentinel, starring Michael Douglas as a most decorated Secret Service agent-turned-presidential assassination suspect. Kiefer Sutherland (TV’s 24) and Eva Longoria (TV’s Desperate Housewives) play two agents (a by-the-books type and a rookie, respectively) tasked with unraveling the murderous plot. 

I found The Sentinel to be a bit slow in the beginning – there is a lot of talk about action but very little of it (Longoria appears to have nothing more to do than to stand behind Sutherland in several scenes) – but ultimately the movie hits its mark.

I do wish Sutherland would take on a different type of roll (perhaps a dramedy?), as I found myself wanting, perhaps too frequently, that he channeled his Jack Bauer alter ego from 24 and took charge, already, in as much a riveting fashion as he does on TV.

My Rating **** (United 93); *** (Friends with Money); ** (The Sentinel) Photos: Universal Pictures (United 93); Sony Pictures Classics (Friends with Money); 20th Century Fox (The Sentinel).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,
Thanks for telling me about your review on Flight 93, it was really hard to take the A&E version of the movie but I think I will take in the theater version also. Nobody will ever get over what happened 9-11. I don't care how many years pass by, the scars are there, and unfortunately they are scars that will never heal.
Thanks for all the other movie reviews also, I'll keep your web page handy so I can read your reviews of the latest flicks!
Take care,
Jenn