Friday, September 04, 2009

Unglamorous Girl

For a little while now I’ve been reading about Mo’Nique’s potential as an Academy Award Best Supporting Actress nominee.

Yep – Mo’Nique.

And let me tell you I’m absolutely loving it.

Mo’Nique will show us what she’s got in Nov. 6’s Precious, an indie that debuted at Sundance last winter to glowing, which to most may be a surprise because Precious was pretty much known going into the festival as another effort on Mariah Carey’s part.

The film follows the story of a young, poor girl (newcomer Gabourey Sidibe) who has been repeatedly raped and impregnated (at 16, she’s expecting her second) by her father and is emotionally abused by her mother (Mo’Nique).

It’s a gritty story, and a showcase for all the talent involved. I can’t wait to see it –this one’s at the top of my list for the fall movie season:

2 comments:

John said...

This looks really powerful. I can't wait. Go Mo'Nique!

Alex said...

That really is what Mariah looks like in the morning you know.