Friday, November 28, 2014

R.I.P. Chespirito

An era in the lives of many – including yours truly’s – has officially ended with the passing of the iconic Roberto Gómez Bolaños.

The Mexican artist and entertainer o.k.a. as Chespirito – the man behind beloved-throughout-the-world characters such as El Chavo del Ocho and El Chapulín Colorado – died today, of heart failure in Cancun. He was 85.

Gómez Bolaños’ actress-wife, Florinda Meza, the erstwhile Doña Florinda from El Chavo del Ocho, reportedly was by his side at the time of his death.

Of course, the sad news has prompted an outpouring of remembrances by the lot of the actor’s fans from all around the world, including some of his old co-stars, like María Antonieta de las Nieves, a.k.a. La Chilindrina, and Édgar Vivar, a.k.a. el Señor Barriga and Ñoño.

And while this is heartbreaking for me as well, I am comforted by a lifetime of memories watching Chespirito doing his thing on TV, by his having kept me company during my early years (and, no lie, as an adult, too), and for the knowledge that, thanks to reruns, I will never have to wonder, “Oh, y ahora quién podrá defenderme?

Photo: Taringa.net.

No comments: