Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Late Show for Stephen Colbert

That did not take long at all.

A week after David Letterman announced he is done with late-night TV, CBS has announced that Stephen Colbert will take over as host of the Late Show once Dave steps down and into retirement in 2015.

The Eye Network reportedly signed the Comedy Central staple to a five-year contract.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said CBS Corp. CEO Les Moonves of his new hire today. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.

Said Dave of the man tapped to follow in his footsteps“Stephen has always been a real friend to me. I’m very excited for him, and I’m flattered that CBS chose him. I also happen to know they wanted another guy with glasses.

Ha!

For his part, Colbert said he was both thrilled and grateful CBS thought of him for the gig. “Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to grind a gap in my front teeth.

Double-ha!

Photo: Deadline.com.

No comments: