Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Carrie as Maria?!

How did I miss this?

Alright, alright – I think a pal tweeted me something about it, but his shock was so it transcended the Twitter and took hold of me in a way that I kinda ended up not processing the info: Carrie Underwood is going to play Maria von Trapp on a planned NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music come next holiday season.

“[Maria] was an iconic woman who will now be played by an iconic artist,” said Robert Greenblatt, the Peacock’s chairman of Entertainment.  

Alrighty then.

I wish people would just learn to leave well enough alone, but, hey, if reintroduces the Julie Andrews 1965 Oscar winner into the zeitgeist for younger generations to rediscover, then having a thoroughly modern songbird take on the role for a bit is a small price to pay.

At least Underwood won’t murder the material....

Photo: NewsOK.com.

No comments: