Monday, September 24, 2012

Live and with Fight, Dream, Hope, Love

Tom Hooper’s upcoming Les Misérables is already a must-watch in certain circles – I am so hoping for an early-December screening for a reason I won’t get into now.

The stellar cast the Oscar-winning director of The King’s Speech probably has plenty to do with it.

I mean, there’s Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean and Russell Crowe as Javert and Anne Hathaway as Fantine....

But there’s also this: I understand that this is the first time the musical Mis is being given the silver screen treatment. And the actors are doing all their singing live, as opposed to miming to a previously recorded session of just their songs.

As co-star Eddie Redmayne says in this awesome featurette/extended trailer, the bold move allowed for more immediacy with and a deeper connection to the story, for all the actors to make their acting choices on the spot in relation to the material rather than months in advance, and for more raw performances (you need only listen to Hathaway sing “I Dreamed a Dream,” which was used in the first trailer, to get what he means).

I can’t wait, people. I really can’t.

Photo: EW.com.

No comments: