Sunday, June 24, 2012

I Heart a Girl Who Loves the C Word

More than a few weeks ago, I had some friends in from San Francisco who would not stop making me have drinks or shut up about this song “212,” featuring Lazy Jay, and the chick who sings it, one Ms. Azealia Banks.

Honestly, I was hearing these guys talk about the lyrics of the song, and they just weren’t interesting to me. I just thought, here’s another act using cuss words (even the explicit, forbidden C word) like it’s going out of style – with a very rudimentary YouTube-friendly video, to boot.

The fact that I watched said video on an iPhone over brunch didn’t help the chick’s case any since I was more focused on my mimosa, but that is neither here nor there.

Well, I am here now loving Banks and her music.

The Harlem girl is making a name for herself out in Asia and Europe for the next few months (grr!), but I have heard “212” on the radio, and I am sooo getting her debut four-track EP, 1991 (how Adele is that, to name her record after her birth year – ha!).

And I waiting patiently for her return stateside and a gig in Miami.

Photo: The212.com.

No comments: