Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Leading Choice

NBC is moving forward with its Americanization of the British, Helen Mirren-starring procedural Prime Suspect, and the Peacock has its heart set on one actress to lead it: Maria Bello.

“There may be interest in me doing it, but I haven’t read anything yet or talked to anyone in depth about it,” the Golden Globe-nominated actress said. “I’m possibly interested. Definitely nervous to even think about taking over for Helen Mirren. C’mon! How could anyone compete with her? Didn’t she do about 10 of them and win an Emmy every time?

“I’m open to things right now. I’m just trying to go with the flow of my life, and I’ve been going back-and-forth to Haiti trying to help out. That has felt good, but I am also wanting to do something spectacular with my life, work-wise, and [Prime Suspect] may end up being it.”

Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights) is overseeing the stateside reboot, and while I would adore to see, say, Connie Britton in the role of Tennison, I think Bello would bring a certain intensity and strength that I would welcome for sure.

Photo: FullIssue.com.

No comments: