Monday, September 07, 2009

What Happens in the Alien Fugee Camp…

There were two aliens-among-us movies in theaters this summer: a bad one everyone would see (the Transformers sequel), and a really, seriously good one only a few cared to discover.

That would be District 9, a smaller and smarter Peter Jackson-produced cult hit that I waited oh-too-long to see.

By now everyone who wanted to check out the film, which opened last month, probably has, so I’ll keep this brief: I hearted it.

H to the E to the A to the R to the T it.

I haven’t been this thrilled by a sci-fi showcase – one with an apartheid allegory, no less – in ages. The fact that it reportedly cost like, $30 million to produce, and that it comes from an unknown South African director (Neill Blomkamp) who plucked a friend (Sharlto Copley) to star in it, well…it makes it all the more great.

District 9 made me feel like a kid again, especially the scene from which the photo at left was taken.

If you haven’t seen it yet, do. Soon.

My Rating ****

Photo: Sony Pictures.

No comments: