Friday, July 24, 2009

Crazy Little Bitch

Sometimes in the movieverse, kids do the craziest things.

In the new suspense horro-thriller Orphan opening today, relative newcomer Isabel Fuhrman plays Esther, a most wicked little 9-year-old girl, with the gusto of a seasoned pro.

Esther comes into the life of Kate and John, a wealthy Connecticut couple afflicted by the stillbirth of their third child. The tragic loss has taken quite a toll on their already-fragile married (she used to drink, and he’s a bit of a chump, really), but they remain committed to each other and their family, to which they do want to add.

When they visit the local orphanage, both Kate (the quite-amazing Vera Farmiga, an actress who’s a bit of an indie darling and whose supporting turn in last year’s Nothing But the Truth blew me away when I rented the movie on DVD), and John are immediately drawn to little Russian-born orphan Esther.

They’re taken with her I’m-my-own-person ways, delighted by her paintings. “She’s very mature for her age,” they’re told.

Little do they know….

So Kohn take her home to meet their bratty eldest son and their deaf daughter (Aryana Engineer, who does remarkably considering the ugliness of this story, which I enjoyed – don’t get me wrong). But – of course – almost as soon as Esther’s walked through the door, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther.

And there so is.

Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get her husband and others to see past the girl’s sweet façade, but no one will listen to her – Esther’s got everyone wrapped around her small little finger.

The trailer for Orphan teased I’d never guess Esther’s secret, but whaddya know, I did.

I called it about less than halfway through, although I actually had guessed something a bit wilder. But I was on the money nevertheless, and I have to say that didn’t keep me from enjoying the movie for one moment.

Now, notice I’ve only purposely mentioned the actresses in Orphan. That’s because the movie truly belongs to them. (Peter Sarsgaard, I’m impressed by your ability to play spineless. Good job!)

Farmiga, to borrow a stale cliché, is a fierce, if wounded lioness, determined to safekeeping her cubs, while Engineer is the portrait of courage in the face of incredible danger. This young girl was asked to face some pretty intense stuff in this movie for our enjoyment, and she delivered impressively and limitlessly.

But Fuhrman’s the one that keeps us guessing (well, not me, but you know…). She had me calling her the C word once the lights came on. Her Esther is a mean mofo, lemme tell ya – not as mean as, say, circus folk that beat elephants, but pretty darn close.

When the movie finally pulls the wrong from under the audience, Fuhrman manages to morph into something even more chilling.

My Rating ***

Photo: Warner Bros.

No comments: