Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stripping Off Their Scrubs

Grey’s Anatomy’s Seattle Grace Hospital soon will look a lot different (although some may say it already does).

James Pickens Jr., who plays Dr. Richard Webber, a.k.a. the Chief, confirmed the rumors that both Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight will leave the show.

“Yes, she is,” Pickens told Us Weekly. “Wherever Katherine goes, I wish her nothing but the best.

“He’s going, too. He just wanted to pursue other career paths.”

A source told the magazine that Knight has had numerous talks with executive producer Shonda Rhimes, and that the “writers are scrambling to find a believable exit for [his character, underused this season], one that would leave the door open for him to come back someday.”

Good luck with that. I understand both Heigl and Knight have grown out of love with the show that made them household names – and I don’t blame them. Although I still watch Grey’s Anatomy, her ghost-seeing storyline has been incredibly taxing, and his sporadic appearances have been a great disservice to his talent and to the audience.

Photo: UsMagazine.com.

Update 1: Did James Pickens Jr. jump the gun when he said what he said about his co-stars’ leaving?

Update 2: Eric Dane, a.k.a. Dr. Mark “McSteamy” Sloan, opened up a little to Ellen DeGeneres on her show after she asked him if his Grey’s Anatomy co-stars are, indeed, leaving the show.

“I don’t really comment,” he said. “I worked with them this morning, and they were both very present. I know you want to know, and I get it, but until the boss [Shonda Rhimes] says this is going down, it’s not happening.”


Time will tell, I guess.

Update 3: Shonda Rhimes said it is all “a rumor.” Uh huh.

No comments: