Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Night for Surprises?

I’ve been waiting for the right opportunity to use this pretty image of this year’s Oscar poster, so I figured I’d handicap tonight’s race – but then someone else kinda beat me to it….

I’ll still say, though, that I think the biggest upset would be if the unstoppable Slumdog Millionaire did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. It’s really is the favorite of favorites if I ever saw one.

The Best Actor and Best Actress contests are two for the underdogs. The former is a toss-up between Milk’s Sean Penn and The Wrestler’s Mickey Rourke, while the latter pits Doubt’s Meryl Streep against The Reader’s Kate Winslet.

But you should keep your eyes open for The Visitor’s Richard Jenkins and Frozen River’s Melissa Leo. The indie darlings could very well sweep in and leave the four vets in the dust. My money’s on Winslet – but that’s a big bet I’m not too sure the Academy is willing to let me win.

Btw, I saw Doubt over the holidays, and actually liked Streep’s scenery-chewing stoic performance, especially when her scenes called for her to go head to head with fellow nominee Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I also saw Marley & Me and loved it! And I’m hearting that Jennifer Aniston is said to be scheduled to be a presenter at the ceremony tonight. Hearting it.

Best Supporting Actor is pretty much a lock. Congratulations, Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), and may you rest in peace.

As for Best Supporting Actress…. I think Penélope Cruz has grown so much in recent years, I’d say she’s earned it with Vicky Cristina Barcelona. It’s amazing what the right role can do. I would like to see Marisa Tomei win a second Oscar, just to stick it to those who think the first was a mistake, but I think her perkiness in The Wrestler did a good job of it already.

One thing is for sure: I’m bucking my staying-in-with-a-pizza annual tradition, and I’ll be watching Hugh Jackman do his thing at a fabulous party.

Photo: Oscar.com.

Update 1: And the winners are....

Update 2: And the best dressed winner was Penélope Cruz in vintage Balmain.

Update 3: The best dressed presenter was Sarah Jessica Parker in Dior Couture. Nope, it was Natalie Portman in pink Rodarte. Don’t make me pick one.

Update 4: And the best dressed after-party party-hopper was Madonna, who looked anything but basic in black. Natch.

Update 5: And the handsomest man of the night was Daniel Craig.

No comments: