Monday, March 24, 2008

MJB Da MVP

Mary J. Blige and Jay-Z kicked off their anticipated “Heart of the City Tour” at the American Airlines Arena in Miami on Saturday, and I just had to be there.

I needed to be there – I needed it like a heart needs a beat.

And boy if MJB wasn’t the beat, the hope, the passion I needed.

She’s the undisputed Queen of Hip-Hop Soul for a mighty good reason, people: She has a voice that just won’t quit.

Her performance on Saturday was nothing short of amazing. She had on her sparkly opening number, her big sunglasses and oversize hoop earrings, her high-heeled boots – she felt like a woman and she was letting everyone know it.

Complemented by a 22-member band that included a 12-piece string-and-horn ensemble, MJB belted out hit after hit after hit. She didn’t need to change into dazzling costume after dazzling costume or even have a drink of water. Her batteries were charged.

If only she’d done “Smoke” and “Come to Me (Peace),” especially, I’d call her 90-minute set quite perfect.

Yeah, tears formed behind my eyes (but I did not cry) when I realized the night wouldn’t include what has been my favorite song since Christmas – or anything that that entails – but I wasn’t disappointed. Thanks to her, I was at peace.

Jay-Z did great, too, but I’m just not that into him. He’s Jay-Z, and he’s good and fun, with or without special guests Kanye West and Timbaland, but this was MJB’s night.

I made a memory on Saturday – and I never say silly things like “I made a memory.”

Photo: DotSpotter.com.

Update: MJB performed “Come to Me (Peace)” in her episode of VH-1’s Storytellers.

Obviously, the song is an emotional one for her – she had to take a moment during her introduction.

I can only imagine how she would’ve shaken the AAA had she performed it there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mary J. I wish I could've gone.

Anonymous said...

Please, home girl can't dance. It's embarrassing to watch her move on stage. A matter of fact have you noticed there is not one black (female that is) performer that can dance . . . .? not one and don't try to argue otherwise cuz I will chew you up with my arguments and spit you out!