Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Artistic Integrity 

A lot is being said about Kelly Clarkson’s upcoming album My December. The blogosphere’s aflutter with talk that the original American Idol and her record label, RCA, are at odds over the songs she wants to release, most of which she co-wrote without the help of hit-makers like Max Martin. (Martin is the man behind her smash hit “Since U Been Gone,” the Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way,” and Britney Spears’ “…Baby One More Time.”)

People.com reported earlier this week that Clarkson told MTV News she was “offended” by her label’s suggestion she use a “Lindsay Lohan track from her last album [for] me to record it for my new album." The “Never Again” singer – a song that, by the way, totally is growing on me – is said to have called the material RCA was sending her “almost insulting.”

“I'm like, 'You can't even find new songs?'” she said. “'You don't want me to write my album, but you're sending me hand-me-downs?'"

I think it shows a lot of courage that Clarkson is speaking up about this process, and that she’s defending the songs she wants to put out there and ultimately sell.

I’ve enjoyed her stuff for a long time, but I’ve never bought any of her albums (because radio has been known to over-play her, which can make any artist sound tiresome after a while). But I’m thinking I will be purchasing My December when it comes out on June 26…just to help her stick it to the Man.

After all, she did say to me, “Dude, you’re awesome!” this one time.

Alright, maybe it was, “Dude, it’s awesome!” (after I asked her if she felt lucky gal backstage at the 2005 MTV VMAs). But you know what I mean.

Photo: TatteredCoat.com.

No comments: