Monday, April 09, 2007

Open Grindhouse; Few Come

Bad-boy directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s ambitious double feature Grindhouse didn’t pack audiences in during its first weekend of release.

The three-and-a-quarter hour film – a package of two movies (Rodriguez's zombie thriller Planet Terror, which features Rose McGowan as a
machine gun-legged badass, and Tarantino's slasher picture Death Proof) honoring the low-budget horror movies of the 1970s – opened at No. 4 with three-day ticket sales of just $11.6 million.

It was expected it to hit the $20 million level.

"Are we disappointed about the gross?" Dimension Films co-chairman Harvey Weinstein told Reuters. "I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't. I am disappointed."

Critics raved, but moviegoers evidently were not interested in checking out Grindhouse, opting to give the Will Ferrell ice-skating comedy Blades of Glory a second weekend at the top with sales of $23 million.

The funny thing about that is I haven’t seen either movie, and if I had gone to the movie theater I probably would’ve seen Blades of Glory (I am just dying to see Amy Poehler in it) – although I definitely will check out Grindhouse before they pull it out of rotation.

But first…first I need to make things better.

Photo: Dimension Films.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you gonna posts MOVIE reviews MOVIE MARTIN? It's all Firecroth this, Madonna that. It's getting old and stinky.

RAP said...

"senora! Your public needs you. We need you too..."