Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Starry, Starry Night

Well, last night’s Golden Globe Awards didn’t offer many a surprise in the film department (congrats, Helen Mirren; loved your speech, Meryl Streep), but you can always count on TV to throw everyone a little bit – and in very good ways at that.

Then again, leave it to the good ole TV folks – cough, cough, Grey’s Anatomy cast member, cough – to (momentarily, yet memorably) make things a bit awkward (backstage) as well.

Hullabaloo aside, the Globes were awarded as expected, although Babel pulled a little bit of an upset when it was named Best Motion Picture Drama over The Departed, if you ask me.

But, like I said, the biggest surprise of the night came from the TV side, thanks to Kyra Sedgwick’s win for Best Actress in a TV Drama (The Closer). Of all the times I’ve picked her to win anything, she hasn’t, and the day I don’t pick her, she does. Her triumph (pictured at right) was well deserved, though.

That, combined with Ugly Betty’s two-for-two score, really made me smile. You can find a (mostly complete) list of winners here.

As for the red carpet fashion, I can’t think of any real show-stoppers, although I did think that Penélope Cruz looked very glamorous, and that Beyoncé really should’ve left that dress (and this very Vegas pose) to the left, to the left.


And did Brangelina get matching highlights? (That Brad Pitt sure has a shtick. He and Jennifer Aniston got theirs for their wedding, I’ll have you know.)

Photo: IMDb.com.

No comments: