Tuesday, December 19, 2006

As Seen on TV

I think by now it has been well established that if it's on TV then it must be something TVGuide.com and I would remember.

Like, duh.

As another year goes the way of many before it, the magazine’s website published today their “most stellar TV moments of 2006.”

I wasn’t going to write anything about this sort of thing, but the article got me thinking about my No. 1 most stellar TV moment of 2006, which has got to be the (hot!) head-butt seen ‘round the world, and came courtesy of Zinédine Zidane during the final match (France vs. Italy) of the World Cup – in front of, like, 284 million global viewers, no less.

I know…sports? Well, what can I say.

Anyway, as you may remember, Zidane head-butted Italy's Marco Materazzi in the chest, after the Italian soccer player reportedly insulted his sister, and was consequently tossed from the game – costing the French the championship. The Italians went on to win their fourth title in a penalty shootout, 5-3, and the incident easily made for, I believe, the most dramatic, exhilaratingly did-that-just-happen?, and strangely entertaining TV moment of year.

Mon dieu, Barbara Walters, you didn't find this fascinating?!

Now, if I had to pick a runner-up moment, I’d pick the stellar post-Super Bowl episode of Grey’s Anatomy, which was light-hearted yet pulsing drama of the first rate.


Coming in at third would have to be the broadcast of Madonna's "Confessions Tour," which, in spite of its airing with plenty of commercial interruption and without this little number (or this one), was completely fun and something I still watch every other morning on TiVo.

Photo: SI.com.

No comments: