Friday, September 15, 2006

Just Like a Truly Unexpected First Kiss...

The Last Kiss, starring Zach Braff (TV’s Scrubs, Garden State), has managed to come out of nowhere and surprise with its incredibly compelling power to…

Hold the phone. I haven’t seen the movie, yet here I am, gushing about it.

Perhaps this is because the movie – co-starring Jacinda Barrett, Blythe Danner, and Tom Wilkinson – was directed by Tony Goldwyn (A Walk on the Moon) and written by Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby, Crash), and thus promises to be a character-driven ensemble piece.

“The screenplay takes a refreshing and rather edgy look at the ideals we have about what we imagine we want in our life partners, how we see our lives going, and what we expect to achieve at various stages of our lives,” Goldwyn says on the movie’s website. “Somehow life never quite works out like the ideal we envision. What do you do when life happens to you?"

I love that. I know that. And I love what it can do for a romantic comedy…the heaviness of heart (and yes, even hope) it can give it.

Or perhaps it’s because I am kind of terribly giddy with excitement at the prospect of seeing The O.C.’s Rachel Bilson break through with this movie – and I’m not even an O.C. fan!

According to Braff, The Last Kiss is “about turning a major corner in your life: settling down and starting a family, while still clutching on to everything that was free, innocent, and fun about being young.”

Turning a corner is something I find quite fascinating, as I do Braff, who is one of the most graceful actors working on one of the most underrated shows on TV right now – if you are a Scrubs fan you know what I mean, if not…well, too bad). So all I know for sure is that I’m there.


Photo: DreamWorks Pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...sooooo did u like it, like it or not?